Thursday, December 13, 2007

BlAsian Exchanges on front page of Asian Week

Believe it 'cause it's true. My new book "BlAsian Exchanges, a novel" received front page coverage in the December 7, 2007 issue of Asian Week which you can access at:http://www.asianweek.com/2007/12/13/talking-shop-%e2%80%98blasian-exchanges%e2%80%99/#more-2353A picture of a BlAsian couple appears on page one below a headline which reads "Black-Asian Love: New Novel Takes on Interracial Attraction"Many thanks to Annabelle Udo for writing the article and to Asian Week editor & publisher Ted Fang for supporting my work enough to put it on the front page of "The Voice of Asian America"Page 10 shows the story about my book (accessible at the URL listed above), a Question & Answer piece titled "Talking Shop: 'BlAsian Exchanges'" by Annabelle UdoBelow is a word-for-word copy of the article:Talking Shop: ‘BlAsian Exchanges’By: Annabelle Udo, Dec 13, 2007 Print Email Share Tags: Bay Area BlAsian Exchanges is first-time author Sam Cacas’ recently released novel, which explores interracial relationships between black women and Asian men (termed by the portmanteau “BlAsian”). Cacas, 52, a former AsianWeek writer who moderates a discussion group focusing on black women and Asian men, tells the story of Earvin Ilokano, a Filipino American who deals with his frustrations as a journalist by penning a novel that recollects his attraction for black women and culture.Why did you decide to write about the BlAsian relationship? Sam Cacas: I wanted to write about interracial attraction/dating/marriage for about 10 years, because I felt that the Asian man’s perspective on attraction to black women has not been covered by either the mainstream media or the black media. Given my intimate involvement with black women for the last 33 years of my life (I have been married to a black woman for seven years and previously to another black woman for nine years). I felt I had a perspective that the public needed to hear, and I had to just write my own story.What makes BlAsian relationships different than other interracial relationships?BlAsian relationships involve two people of color together, which is significant to me because being intimate and social with my partner means a lot of not having to explain what it means to be discriminated against regularly because of the color of my skin and standing up to it when I want to.Why do you think the issue of BlAsian relationships is so important to get out there?Society is still ambivalent about accepting the Asian guy who is politically conscious, affectionate, and polyculturally bold enough to pursue their attraction for black women like I have — not the stereotypical Asian male nerd who is not masculine enough to even have sexual or romantic feelings for women. BlAsian relationships only started happening in the late ’90s and are regularly verified on the Internet in Yahoo discussion groups like PowerCouples_AMBW with 300-plus members — mostly black women—which I co-moderate, and YouTube videos like the one showing the BlAsian couple in an IKEA commercial. The image of black women and Asian men needs to be broadened beyond their archetypal racial uniforms of accepting notions of white beauty.What sort of myths are associated with BlAsian relationships? That they won’t last a long time, that Asians and blacks are not compatible, that such relationships are merely political statements.Why did you choose Greek mythology to complement your interest in black women?Greek mythology taught me a lot about developing the so-called “third eye” — the sense of intuition based on the wisdom that others have imparted, such as wise sayings, mythological stories such as those from ancient Greek literature, etc. For me, it has also included proverbs and family stories from my parents’ Ilokano background.Are there any links that you recommend for people who want to know more about this subject matter? » groups.yahoo.com/group/ BlAsianExchanges/» groups.yahoo.com/PowerCouples_AMBW» www.interracialchats.com» www.asian-nation.org/interracial.shtml» www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbxxH3ZcCg

2 comments:

chewy26 said...

Hello Sam.
I was told about your novel by a friend of mine and when I googled your name and found your blog, I immediately became intrigued and happy. I'm very excited about buying your book because you're very right, Blasian relationships seem to be ignored in mainstream society.
I am a mixed woman (1/2 black, 1/2 spanish) and I have always found myself attracted to Asian men. I am a newlywed and my husband is Chinese and we actually just recently had a baby.
When we first started dating, we received a LOT of stares. Now-- and this could be because I am very comfortable in our relationship-- I don't notice as many stares. Perhaps society is becoming more 'tolerant' of Blasian relationships, and I'm hoping that your novel examines this in deeper detail.
Thank you again!

nobhillwriter said...

Chewy26:

Thank you for your support of my work. Caution: if you buy it from Amazon right now, they may be trying to sell you the pre-launch edition at 23.95. I have the first edition coming out after December 30, 2007 at 18.95 or . . . you can buy an autographed copy from me right now for 21.95 (18.95 plus mailing and handling if you are in the U.S.) by sending a check, made out to Nobhillwriter Associates, to the following address: 1355 Leavenworth Street #12, San Francisco, CA 94109. Otherwise, wait for Amazon and other online stores to come out with the first edition after December 30, 2007 when the first edition launches. Thanks again for your support,

Sam